[SPAM] Re: [mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Thu Jul 28 23:05:47 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 16:11 -0400, Jorey Bump wrote:
>
>>These are all limitations of Red Hat, and have little to do with
>>mod_python.
>
> They are not exclusive "limitations" of Redhat, and the argument is
> easily won when defining the differences between what a secure
> production system is and what a development box is.

The reason you can't easily change to another python on the system is
because your version of Red Hat absolutely relies on the version of
python that came with it, hence the limitation. There are other
platforms that don't install or depend on python by default, so you can
choose to install whatever version you wish.

>>Some platforms do not support customization as well as
>>others.
>
> This isn't a customization issue at all.

The Red Hat parts department doesn't support Python 2.x for its model
7.3. Installing alternate versions of Python will void your warranty. :)

> It's a compilation and
> development issue.  One example: mod_python switched meaning of
> --with-python somewhere between here and there (but nobody readily
> documented this in such a fashion that even complex goggling would
> reveal).  Another:  even though python2 existed at the time, the
> mod_python Makefile from v2.7.11 hardcodes /usr/bin/python signifying
> that the developers never thought/intended for it to work with python2.

That's because it's meant to work with the *system-wide* version of
python, which is customarily a link. On my system:

  /usr/bin/python -> python2.3

Perl often uses the same convention. Nobody invokes python2.3 or
perl5.8.4 directly by name. You will face the same issues trying to
install mod_perl with a new version of perl. Unfortunately, you don't
have the option of setting the link to a new binary because some RH 7.3
components will break.

>>But when you do this, you are deviating from the philosophy and losing some
>>of the benefits of your platform. You are better off upgrading or
>>switching platforms.
>
> ...or the applications.  All I am trying to do is get python and
> python2, from the same era, working with mod_python and apache releases
> also from the same era.  Latest and "greatest" isn't necessary as
> necessary functionality exists in the versions I am using (other than w/
> mod_python).

But for how long? RH 7.3 has been unsupported for quite a while. If
you've been keeping up with security issues, you would have recompiled
many components by now. With older systems, you can't escape the law of
diminishing returns. At some point, you need to upgrade. By your own
admission, you're at the "point of frustration/disappointment" all a
result of trying to milk the last drop out of your outdated system. My
(truly) friendly advice is to move on. Take your pick, Debian will
apt-get you to a working system in minutes, Slackware will let you
compile and install any version of mod_python/python/apache you want.
I'm ridiculously conservative on this list, so believe me when I say I
don't make this recommendation lightly. :)