[SPAM] Re: [mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Thu Jul 28 16:11:37 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> In order to make mod_python work partway, I had to install
> python2-devel-2.2.2 on a production server (you should never
> have to install -devel packages on a production system)
>
> This system also has python-1.5.2 installed on it, which is
> /usr/bin/python, due to rpm-python and yum requirements. So,
> replacing /usr/bin/python breaks other things, including
> production server policies.
>
> Finally, in order to even get mod_python to work, I had to
> edit src/Makefile (added -DEAPI)
>
> It just seems plain messy to me, especially in a production
> environment.  It's ok to have to do this in a development
> only environment.

These are all limitations of Red Hat, and have little to do with
mod_python. Some platforms do not support customization as well as
others. If you want to compile software from scratch, you need the
supporting files, which some distributions choose to break out into
other packages. You can set up a development machine, compile the
software, then transfer the results to your production environment. But
when you do this, you are deviating from the philosophy and losing some
of the benefits of your platform. You are better off upgrading or
switching platforms.