[SPAM] Re: [mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 15:44:27 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 14:16 -0500, Jon-Pierre Gentil wrote:
> I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about with
> "python2"
>
> Are you refering to the Python 2.x series?  If so, it's been running with
> it for a long time.  I use Python 2.3 with mod_python 3.1 in apache2 for
> a long time, and i'm getting ready to upgrade to Python 2.4.

I am using...

   Apache 1.3
   mod_python 2.7.11 (manual compile)
   python2-2.2.2

In order to make mod_python work partway, I had to install
python2-devel-2.2.2 on a production server (you should never
have to install -devel packages on a production system)

This system also has python-1.5.2 installed on it, which is
/usr/bin/python, due to rpm-python and yum requirements. So,
replacing /usr/bin/python breaks other things, including
production server policies.

Finally, in order to even get mod_python to work, I had to
edit src/Makefile (added -DEAPI)

It just seems plain messy to me, especially in a production
environment.  It's ok to have to do this in a development
only environment.

-Jim P.