[mod_python] Fwd: mod python configuration problem

Alexandre F. Santos ochipepe at gmx.net
Wed Jul 13 14:11:53 EDT 2005

Hello,

I would like to use mod_python but I'm having problems getting it to work. I
know you hate to answear newbie questions, but please note:

- I managed to convince an admin to install mod_python on his server, and so
far he has been cooperative. But still, I don't have previleged access to
the server, and must ask his help to get mod_python to work.

- I have read a bit of documentation on mod_python, and also the nice
http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles/modpython-001.html tutorial. But I had no
luck so far.

  Here are the specs I could gather about the server:

Python 2.3.5
mod_python 3.1.3
Apache server handler API 2.0 (20020903)

Mod_python shows up in the apache configuration (as seen by phpinfo()). I
asked the admin to do the test recommended in the tutorial to identify
mod_python and send me the output:
-------------------
# python
Python 2.3.5 (#2, May  4 2005, 08:51:39)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)] on linux2
>>> import mod_python.psp
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/psp.py", line 20, in ?
    import apache, Session, util, _psp
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 28, in
?
    import _apache
ImportError: No module named _apache

-------------------

So mod_python 3.1.3 seems indeed to be installed and working.

I created a home/xp/ folder where I put a hello.txt file and verifyed that I
could access it via the web.

I then created there an .htaccess file:
AddHandler python-program .py
PythonHandler mptest
PythonDebug On

and a mptest.py file:
>from mod_python import apache

def handler(req):
    req.content_type = 'text/plain'
    req.send_http_header()
    req.write('mptest.py\n')
    return apache.OK

Going for the /xp/mptest.py file with my browser yielded the following:
-------------------------
Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.

Now of course I don't have access to the server error log, but before I
contact the admin, could you give me some indications about what could be
wrong and what would be the best approach to address this issue?

Thanks,

Alex