[mod_python] Vampire for module reloading

Gonzalo Sainz-Trápaga gomo at datafull.com
Wed Jul 6 01:58:29 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am developing a web application in Python and I have advanced quite a
bit. I always restart my Apache instance in order to have my modules
reloaded when I modify them.
Basically, my problem is I will be hosting the site on shared hosting,
and therefore I can't restart the webserver. I have read that Vampire
provides an alternate way to load modules that will make restarting
Apache unnecesary.
Still, when I browsed the website and navigated through the docs
provided with Vampire, I found myself quite lost with it.
I would like to know if I can install Vampire on a shared hosting
computer to which I don't have root access (and probably just FTP
access), and if it's possible to drop-in Vampire's module reloading
system instead of mod_python's without major rewrites of my code.
If this is possible, I would really appreciate some quick pointers and
directions on how to accomplish this. Basically, some comments on the
code snippet that appears under "Module Importing System" on Vampire's
website would be great.

Thanks in advance,
--
Gonzalo Sainz-Trápaga (GomoX)
GnuPG Fingerprint: A0AF 3BBF EB93 7EFE 6628  C5A5 F073 9442 6DE4 A497