[mod_python] Weird ob_callback problems

Andrew Farmer andfarm at teknovis.com
Mon Jan 31 03:51:13 EST 2005

Installing mod_python 2.7.10 on Mac OS X 10.3.7. I've upgraded Python
to 2.4 myself (the machine came with 2.3) and installed it in
/usr/local. I'm using the stock Apache 1.3.33.

mod_python installed without trouble -- I added -DEAPI to the CFLAGS to
avoid the httpd warning -- but, upon trying to run any Python script, I
get an error 500 in the browser. The error log shows the following:

> make_obcallback(): could not import mod_python.apache.
> make_obcallback(): could not call init.
> [Mon Jan 31 00:21:35 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] python_handler:
> make_obcallback returned no obCallBack!

I inserted a PyErr_Print() into make_obcallback at the critical point
and got:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py",
> line 49, in ?
>     import time
> ImportError: Failure linking new module: : dyld: /usr/sbin/httpd
> Undefined symbols:
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/time.so undefined reference to
> _PyArg_Parse expected to be defined in the executable
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/time.so undefined reference to
> PyArg_ParseTuple expected to be defined in the executable
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/time.so undefined reference to
> PyDict_GetItemString expected to be defined in the executable
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/time.so undefined refer...

which suggests some sort of Python version mismatch. However,
mod_python.so *looks* like it was built against Python 2.4, and the
compilation process suggests the same.

Anyone know what's going on -- and, more importantly, what to do about
it?