[mod_python] psp_site example doesn't work

Zach White zwhite-mod_python at darkstar.frop.org
Sun Jan 23 17:20:02 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 09:03:49PM +1100, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> You are using mod_python 2.7.10. PSP is only in mod_python 3.X, thus why
> you get a PSP import error. That you are using mod_python 2.7.10 also
> explains why:
>
>   SetHandler mod_python
>
> wasn't working for you. Use:
>
>   SetHandler python-program

Ok, that would explain that. Kind of annoying that the change was made,
although I do think that calling the handler mod_python makes more sense.

> and make sure you are reading the mod_python 2.7.10 documentation and
> not
> the newer version.

I am, but at the time I was going on the documentation in the psp example.
Going back and looking at the examples page on the site, I see where it says
that it requires mod_python 3.x. Somehow I overlooked that. Maybe someone
can add a note to the comments in index.py in psp_example saying it requires
mod_python 3.x?

> Further, you are using Apache 1.3 and the way it processes requests
> against
> directories and then maps that to an index file is different to Apache
> 2.0.
> This may or may not be an issue.

Well, it is and it isn't an issue. Playing with it, it seems that the
following URLs will not work:

http://beta.rvmotel.com/
http://beta.rvmotel.com/index
http://beta.rvmotel.com/index.py

But the following URLs do:

http://beta.rvmotel.com/index/index
http://beta.rvmotel.com/index.py/index

Not a big deal, but not really ideal, either. It means I'll have to use
AddHandler and have an index.html or index.cgi that redirects the user to
the real index page. From my own developing standpoint, I'd rather not have
to do that. But from the standpoint of the people I'm doing this for, it
doesn't matter.

Thanks again for your help.

-Zach