[mod_python] Installing mod_python without root-permissions.

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Mon Jan 10 20:23:36 EST 2005

Manfred Stienstra wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 21:45 -0500, Jorey Bump wrote:
>
>>- Obviously, you will need to use http://host:1234/foo.py/bar syntax
>

> But you could proxy all the request through mod_proxy, mod_rewrite or a
> script.

There's no harm in running the application on an unprivileged port, as
long as the user can access it from a page in the main apache instance.
A link is a link, once a user reaches the site. I've done this with
mod_perl applications, where I've had to compile and run apache, perl,
and mod_perl as an ordinary user to get features that weren't available
from the stock environment. There was no inconvenience to the end user.

The OP's options are limited by what he can do without root privileges,
and how much the admin is willing to do to help (including installing
modules or modifying the configuration in the main apache instance).