[mod_python] Installing mod_python without root-permissions.

Erik Billing erik at ekhagen.org
Fri Jan 7 20:23:08 EST 2005

Greetings. I wonder if it’s possible to install mod_python on a debian
system with Apache, without having root-permissions.

I’m currently developing a web-service using standard python-cgi
scripts, but my application is now getting too heavy for it to work well
as a cgi and I’ve started too look around for an alternative. Mod_python
clearly seams to be a great solution, but there is one problem. I intend
to host the service with a web-server provider that does not support
mod_python. I have a shell-account thaw, and I am allowed to compile and
install my own applications there, so I was hoping it would in some way
be possible to load install mod_python on a user-specific basis.

As I half-expect this not to be possible, I still have too ask. And if
anybody knows any other way to achieve an alternative to python-cgi,
that doesn’t involve apache modules which requires root-permissions, it
would be greatly appreciated. I have access to Tomcat and have some kind
of thought of using JSP through JPython, but since I’m not so much into
JSP I would really need a kick in the right direction.

Regards ..Erik Billing (erik at ekhagen.org)