[mod_python] Segfaults when running mod_python and mod_php4/mod_php5

Daniel S. Reichenbach dsr at best-off.org
Mon Dec 5 07:14:46 EST 2005

Hi,

at the weekend I have installed a small host for my private software
projects based on current Debian Testing branch.

The plan was to install a SubVersion repository as well as the Trac
issue tracker (http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/).

I have installed Apache 2, version 2.0.54 with mod_python 3.1.3,
as well as Trac 0.9.1 with SubVersion 1.2.3 as backend.

Now I configured things according to this page:
http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/TracModPython

So far everything worked.

Now I needed to add mod-php4 or mod-php5 since there should run a
forum on the server, too. I installed PHP 4.4.0 and now things start
to get strange.

Both PHP and Python seem to work, as I can open the configured web
sites, both living on different vhosts. Now when I try to login to
Trac, mod_python will segfault. Actually it's this configuration part:

<Location "/projects/myproject/login">
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "myproject"
  AuthUserFile /var/trac/myproject/.htaccess
  Require valid-user
</Location>

Situation: Trac site and PHP site work, until someone tries to login.
Afterwords PHP will stay alive and working, each call to mod_python
causes segfault in error log.

If I don't have login enabled, Python and thus Trac will work. Is this
a known issue or are there perhaps any solutions to this?

What I have checked so far: FAQ hint on libraries. PHP and Python use
the same ones. Disabling PHP for the login location, does not change
anything. Without PHP everything works fine. As well tried to use
AddHandler instead of SetHandler, this as well results in segfaults
when logging in.

With kind regards,
Daniel
--