[mod_python] Blank form values are not showing up in my mod_pyton/mpservlets environments

Stian Søiland stian at soiland.no
Tue Aug 30 07:02:26 EDT 2005

On 27. aug. 2005, at 07:35, Scott Chapman wrote:

> It turns out that checkboxes are not submitted with forms if the
> checkboxes are unchecked and this is standard behavior for web
> browsers.  This may be the _dumbest_ thing I've ever seen.  I
> haven't tested it with radio inputs but I have read that it may be
> the case there as well.

It's normal behavour for all controls that don't contain any value to
not be sent, even input fields. So don't expect the browsers to send
any blank values. Also note the difference from submitting by
pressing Enter and clicking a submit button with a field name:

   <input type="submit" name="something" value="Submit me" />

The something-value will only be sent when the button is pushed, even
if this is the only submit button in the form.

Standard trick in Publisher is to use default values for such
parameters.

--
Stian Søiland               People who enjoy meetings should not
Birmingham, UK              be in charge of anything. [Sowell]