[mod_python] scoping question

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Aug 10 23:57:17 EDT 2005

Mike Dewhirst wrote ..
> I have been trying unsuccessfully to get mod_python happening and wonder
> if it is even possible given the scope / constraints in my system.
>
> In a nutshell I cannot get Apache to load mod_python without segfaults.
> (see error_log excerpt below)
>
> If there is a kind person who could look at this and let me know whether
> it is worthwhile pushing on I would appreciate it.

What mod_python are you trying to use to test it out? Are you trying to
follow the simple mptest.py example, or have you gone direct to trying
to use some complicated example which loads in all manner of extra
Python modules?

A few things to try are as follows.

1. Use procedure documented at:

  http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles/modpython-001.html

Let us know how far you get with this or whether it dies from the outset.

2. Grab latest version of mod_python from subversion repository. It includes
fixes for a few obscure problems that might conceivably cause core dumps.

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_python/trunk/

It also includes some better logging whereby some problems are now logged
whereas they weren't before and thus you had no idea what was going on.

3. Do you have multiple versions of Python installed on your system and
there is any chance mod_python is loading stuff from wrong version?

4. What version of expat package do you have installed? Some version can
cause core dumps. See:

  http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2004-December/017023.html

5. Having different packages using different versions of shared libraries can
also be a problem. This can occur with expat, but also Berkley DB shared libraries.
For examples, see:

  http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.013.htp

About all I can think of for now.