[mod_python] Request For Input

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Sep 29 18:10:10 EDT 2004

On Sep 29 18:47, Juergen Fiedler <juergen at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> Subject: [mod_python] Request For Input
>
> I am beginning to learn mod_python; I have just written the skeleton of
> a web application, but have no idea where exactly the glaring holes are
> could someone please take a look at the code and tell me whether I am on
> the right track?

> The idea is that the main handler takes a URL like
> 'http://www.test.com/main.py/test' and separates the last part
> (everything after the 'main.py/'). It then loads a Handler class from a
> module of that name in the site_code package. Then it instantiates an
> object of that class and calls the 'handle' method.
> I purposely did not touch anything but the default handler yet.
>
> Now the big question: Is this a valid way to go about writing a web
> application in mod_python or am I completely on the wrong track? The
> exec calls in the main handler are probably not optimal when it comes to
> ~ execution speed, but I couldn't think of anything better to do to
> import a module dynamically based on external variables.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of exec'ing import, use mod_python.apache.import_module() method.

You might also have a look at Vampire:

  http://www.dscpl.com.au/projects/vampire

It also implements a high level handler which acts as a switch between subordinate
content handlers stored in separate code files.

There is a newer version of Vampire code ready to be released, but still updating
documentation.

--
Graham Dumpleton (grahamd at dscpl.com.au)