[mod_python] how do import work?

Chris Curvey ccurvey at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 16 20:15:19 EDT 2004

I think so, given the information in
http://modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq03.001.htp

I'm (almost) positive that if you're using the prefork MPM (which uses a
separate, single-threaded process for each request), each OS process
will have it's own context (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html).

I have also learned that objects in a context stay alive between
requests, so something like this (using mpservlets)

class myhandler(HTMLPage):
    def  __init__(self):
        self.messages = []

    def add_message(self):
         self.messages.append("a new message")

will cause self.messages to grow and grow and grow as multiple requests
hit add_message.  And of course, you can't ever count on the same OS
process serving the same client over and over.  (This makes sense to me,
because one of the features of mod_python is that classes get pulled
into memory once and then don't need to be re-used. )

Of course, there's a possibility that I'm totally off base here, so any
corrections would be appreciated.