[mod_python] Problems with mod_python on OSX

Lee E. Brown Administrator at leebrown.org
Tue Sep 7 18:35:14 EDT 2004

Greetings!

No drive identifiers?  How does OSX handle having more than one hard drive?
I'm sure each drive has to have a unique volume name, which is the same
thing.

Also I've found that I had to explicitly set the AllowOverride directive,
even though I'm not using .htaccess files, to get Mod Python to work.  See
Paragraph 2 under Section 2.4 of the Mod Python manual.

Not to belabor the issue of an absolute physical path, but please look at
this configuration:

DocumentRoot "c:/webdev/sites/home"
 <Directory "c:/webdev/sites/home">
    Options All
    AllowOverride All
    AddHandler mod_python .py
    PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
    PythonDebug On

Under this configuration, Mod Python runs just fine.  But note that I can
change the Directory statement to either

<Directory "/webdev/sites/home">

 or

<Directory "/">

and I can serve pages out of either of those two all day long but Mod Python
WILL NOT RUN and will report the error which you describe.

In all three cases, the path exists and in all three cases you wind up in
the same place staring at the same files.  But only in the first case, the
one with the absolute physical path statement, will Mod Python work
correctly.

Best Regards,
Lee E. Brown