[mod_python] servlet form against publisher

Daniel Popowich dpopowich at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 16:19:18 EDT 2004

Manera, Villiam writes:

> I'm moving from publisher to servlet, because servlet are
> wonderful.

Thanks, I've been getting lots of good feedback.

> but I'm get used at the publischer way to retrieve fields from a from.
>
> Difference in retrieve fields from Form between publisher and servlet:
>
> In publischer : req.form = util.FieldStorage(req, keep_blank_values=1)
>
> In servlet : self.form = util.FieldStorage(self.req)       # the default for keep_blank_values is 0
>

> So in servlet the fields not filled are not inserted in  self.form.list
>
> Why this choice??

Two reasons:

1) Assuming you're going to retrieve the field like this:

     field = self.form.getfirst('fieldname', somedefault)

   then returning blank values is meaningless: regardless of whether
   or not the field was blank you'll get your default.

2) With the mechanics of query_vars and form_vars in mpservlets, re
   automatic retrieval of fields and setting them as instance
   variables and setting defaults for missing fields, there is no
   need to keep blank values.

Daniel Popowich