[mod_python] mod_python bake-off?

Nic Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 01:10:18 EDT 2004

"Michael C. Neel" <neel at mediapulse.com> writes:

> Now, at the risk of getting the thread off topic and into a flame war,
> I'm going to say that we should state it uses MySQL and also provide the
> database as well.  The app shouldn't need any advanced database
> features, this wouldn't be showing off the framework anyway.  Also, if
> this gets some steam, someone might be able to convince sourceforge to
> host the results of the bake off, and they use MySQL.

I don't think that's a good idea. Let people do what they want with
the backend... That's what RAD is about.

If a framework has something particular to show about a particular
backend then let it use that backend. Otherwise, let it be purely a
matter for personal preference.

I don't think that we can use this exercise to compare performance or
anything like that... so there's no point being prescriptive about the
back end.

There is a point about being prescriptive about the front end. It's so
the applications look (broadly) the same.

> So the real question I have is who is going to (or knows someone who
> will) create the prototype design of this application?

By the end of next week I can probably have a timesheet tool up and
running with some HTML that we could use as story boards.

Nic