[mod_python] newbie question

Golawala, Moiz M (GE Infrastructure) Moiz.Golawala at ge.com
Wed Oct 27 13:05:55 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I guess, I didn't really describe what my problem was so I will include some code snippets to explain what I am confused about.

In my httpd.conf file:
<Directory /var/www/html/>
	PythonHandler main
	PythonDebug on
</Directory>

in my main.py file:

from cheetah.Template import Template
from mod_python import apache

def handler(req):
	t = Template(file,"/var/www/html/main.tmpl")
	textlen = len(str(t))
	req.set_content(t)
	req.set_content_length(textlen)
	apache.OK

in my main.tmpl file:

<head></head>
	<form action="valid.py">
	<input type="text" size="20" name="input1">
	<input type="text" size="20" name="input2">
	<input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit">
	</form

My problem is that the browser renders the page that is defined in the main.tmpl file. But once I enter the text and click submit. I want the browser to display the page that is defined the template used in valid.py (as the form tag shows) but some how I get the main.py page back. The reason this is happening is that once I click the submit button, I get back to the server and the handler is invoked and main.py is called. I can never go to another page.

I am sure I am doing something wrong. Please can someone help me out.. Or direct me to some place that show an example of how this mechanism works correctly.

Again, any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Moiz Golawala