[mod_python] Single Authentication for dual applications, Webware and Moin

Roger crosseyedpenguin at cox.net
Wed Oct 20 18:13:26 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have an application written using Webware/WebKit that makes heavy use
of MoinMoin for supporting documentation. The Webware application
currently uses a home-coded authentication mechanism making use of an
SQL database. The MoinMoin application currently uses the standard
MoinMoin authentication scheme resulting in dual login IDs and dual
passwords for all users.

I am about to modify the MoinMoin authentication scheme to use the same
SQL database for authentication, eliminating the dual login IDs, but not
the dual logins.

It would be an advantage to have one login for both applications. Both
applications are running under mod_python and on the same virtual
server. Allmost all my coding experience is using Webware object
structure andI have done little with mod_python other than install it. I
see references to the objects with the same names (request, session) in
the MoinMoin, Webware, and mod_python docs, but these appear to be
unique to each application.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an approach yielding a single login
for these two applications? I am thinking that I need to write a
authentication mechanism for mod_python against the SQL database, and
then write subordinate mechanisms for Webware and MoinMoin that verify a
valid mod_python session exists. But I am confused as to how to go about
passing user information between these applications. Is there a better
approach than using a cookie understood by all three mechanisms?

Roger