[mod_python] does add_handler even work?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Oct 12 23:50:45 EDT 2004

On Oct 12 21:34, Graham Dumpleton <grahamd at dscpl.com.au> wrote:

> In respect of mod_autoindex, is the problem you have that with Apache 1.3, a
> reference against the directory would still honour setting of DirectoryIndex and
> thus redirect to index.html as an example, but with Apache 2.0 it doesn't?
>
> I found this problem with Apache 2.0 as well, although I note that in Apache 1.3
> it only worked for the top level directory managed by mod_python. If there were
> subdirectories under that, it wouldn't work for them anyway.
>
> In Vampire 1.1 I specifically have a setting, eg:
>
>   PythonOption VampireDirectoryIndex index.html
>
> to get around this problem. That is, I handle the redirection with Vampire when a
> directory access occurs. With Apache 1.3, I use a HTTP redirect, but with Apache 2.0
> I use an internal redirect.
>
> I have an actual note about this issue on updated web page I put up for Vampire 1.1.

Hmmm, checking some things, I actually find my VampireDirectoryIndex isn't
working on Apache 1.3 after all, and normal directory index stuff is going into
subdirectories okay. At least on one web site this is the case, I originally tested
it on another, so Apache config may have something to do with it.

I am reasonably confident though that DirectoryIndex wasn't working on Apache 2.0
in the same way which was why I came up with VampireDirectoryIndex in the first
place. I'll have to revisit and test all this again under a few web servers and try
and make better sense of it.

But then, all this stuff is related to mod_dir and not mod_autoindex. I'm confused,
so best to just ignore me. :-)

--
Graham Dumpleton (grahamd at dscpl.com.au)