[mod_python] module caching problem

Huzaifa Tapal huzaifa at hostway.com
Tue Nov 23 18:57:50 EST 2004

I am running into a problem with mod_python in that, I am importing a module
in the handler which creates a singleton in memory.  I am using the module
to hold cache information for any other modules that import the same module.

I started testing the cache mechanism when I noticed that the module was
being imported multiple times and not just once after the first request
after apache had started.  To test this, I put a few lines of code in the
module to write to a file the time it was last imported.  I noticed that
after restarting apache, the first time it writes to the file.  If I hit
refresh on my page immediately, multiple times, it doesn't write.  If I wait
like 10 seconds or more and then hit refresh again, it reimports that module
that should have been cached.

Also, If I make a request for a page from two different clients, it
reimports the module from each client.  Am I mistaken in thinking that any
module imported in the handler then is cached in mod_python's module cache
and subsequent imports of that module then are simply served up from the
cache.  Under what conditions then would the same module get reimported if
no modifications were made to that module?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hozi