[mod_python] ImportError: No module named _apache

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:30:31 EST 2004

I am getting the same error message. I am using the pre-installed
apache version 1, and I apt-got apache-mod-python.

my apache log looks like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ezust/alan/school/uvic/phd/distquery/bin/modtest.py", line 3, in ?
    from mod_python import apache
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 55, in ?
    import _apache
ImportError: No module named _apache

Which package is the module _apache supposed to come from?

(root at lazarus) /etc (root) > apache -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.31 (Debian GNU/Linux)
Server built:   Oct 29 2004 12:52:40
(root at lazarus) /etc (root) > python -V
Python 2.3.4
(root at lazarus) /etc (root) > uname -a
Linux lazarus 2.4.27 #2 SMP Mo Aug 9 00:39:37 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
(root at lazarus) /etc (root) >

Huzaifa Tapal huzaifa at hostway.com Mon Nov 1 10:43:18 EST 2004
posted to this list:
David, I am running the latest version of Debian on my computer.  Also there
is no error when compiling the _apache module into mod_python and that is
what my original concern was that there seems to be no exception raised if
the compilation fails for _apache.

Here is what I am talking about:

_apacheModule.c: void init_apache(): line 533

Mp_ServerReturn = PyErr_NewException("_apache.SERVER_RETURN", NULL, NULL);
if (Mp_ServerReturn = NULL)
	return;

_apacheModule does not seem to be raising any exceptions when that occurs.

Brian, I just signed up with the list before I posted this message.  How can
I check all the previous list entries to find out how this problem was
covered.

As far as not running this through mod_python on the apache server, as far
as I am concerned, I am.  I pretty much followed exactly what is written in
the documentation including the test file they have to test mod_python, in
which the call to import apache fails:

from mod_python import apache

Any ideas guys?

Huzaifa