[mod_python] The referer environment variable

Gustavo Córdova Avila gustavo.cordova at q-voz.com
Mon Nov 8 12:56:18 EST 2004

Robert Geller wrote:

>Whoops! Sorry about that, I use Outlook, the client of death. :D
>
>How does mod python realize that Q, in your case, is the request object
>though? That's what confuses me.
>
>All this you have said is new to me, and I've definitely learned a lot!
>
>I can't quite figure out what that example does though. ;-)

Ewww, client of death indeed  ;-)

mod_python simply puts the apache request object into the first
argument to the handler function, it's name is of no matter,
so I can call it "Q" with absolute impunity; I could call it
"req" or "request", or "Mr_X", since mod_python doesn't care
about it's name, only that it's the handler's first argument.

This handler is very simple:

1. Get list of attributes in request object ("dir(Q)").
2. Iterate through that list with variable "k".
3. For each attribute name:
    3a. Get attribute's value ("v = getattr(Q,k)")
    3b. Print it's name, type, and depending on it's
        type, an external representation (or a blank).

And done.  I did omit a "return apache.OK" at the end
though, you'll have to fill in the blanks.

hth!
--
Gustavo Córdova Avila <gustavo.cordova at q-voz.com>
<mailto:gustavo.cordova at q-voz.com>