[mod_python] Suggestion: libpython.so

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Thu May 27 17:07:50 EDT 2004

Damjan wrote:

>Recent python installations (I think from 2.3) by default build a
>dynamic libpython library.
>
>I think mod_python should have a ./configure
>option to use the dynamic library instead of the static library archive.
>
>The only change is that "-L/usr/lib/python2.3/config" should be
>removed from the LDFLAGS in src/Makefile. This way two things are
>gained, mod_python.so is 100k instead of 1.3M, and minor upgrades to
>python would also upgrade mod_python.

Note that this is what happens on windows.
I am currently working on improving the setup.py script so it can build
the extension on Unix as well as Windows.
Not everyone may want to do it like this... since apxs is nice. But it
seems to work fine.
I might try and include an option to use the dynamic library...

David