[mod_python] Controlling authentication at run-time

Diener, Edward Edward.Diener at loyaltyworks.com
Tue May 18 15:51:42 EDT 2004

Why would the browser hide this action from me, producing no prompt ?

Diener, Edward wrote:

> If Apache authentication is setup for files in a document directory
> through directives in an .htaccess file, once the user has entered
their
> user name and password and is allowed access to the file, they are no
> longer prompted each subsequent time as long as their session is
active.

The server continues to require the authentication for *each* access to
the file. Your browser will provide it, but it will hide this action
from you; hence, no prompt.

> Is there a way to control this at run-time so that the user will be
> prompted for their user name and password in subsequent access to the
> file, using mod_python ?

You can avoid HTTP Basic Authentication entirely, and create a function
that displays a login form before serving the file from a directory that

exists outside the document root.

That's just one possibility, there are plenty of other ways to approach
Mod_python mailing list
Mod_python at modpython.org