[mod_python] error message when mutexes cannot be created

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon May 17 14:07:48 EDT 2004

Hi

I recently had trouble restarting my Apache server.
I got the following error message when trying to start it:
[Mon May 17 12:32:59 2004] [error] (28)No space left on device: Cannot
create SSLMutex
Configuration Failed

It turned out this was because there were left-over mutexes that hadn't
been deallocated when Apache was shut down.
Most of these are created by mod_python.

I wonder if the error message can be improved to say "Maximum Mutexes
exceeded" as it seemed a bit misleading.
Anyway I suspect it isn't in the mod_python code itself.

But also, would there be a way for mod_python to pick up left-over
mutexes from dead apache processes and kill them?

I probably don't have too good an understanding of how they work, so
this may be an ignorant suggestion...

David