[mod_python] Handler in separate directory

Diener, Edward Edward.Diener at loyaltyworks.com
Thu May 6 11:44:18 EST 2004

MP works fine with publisher when the HTML file and the handler .py
script are in the same directory off of my document root and I have an
.htacess file in that directory with:

AddHandler mod_python .py
PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
PythonDebug On

But I would like to place the .py handler in a directory off of cgi-bin
( or some other non-document root directory ) just to get it out of the
document root directory tree and specify
"/cgi-bin/somedir/somehandler.py/somefunction" as my handler in the HTML
page. However when I do this there is an Apache error, probably since
Apache doesn't know that MP handles this file. How do I get around this
problem ? Do I need to also add the 3 lines above to my Apache config
for the "/cgi-bin/somedir" directory ? That seems very redundant if so,
since both the directory of my HTML file and the directory of my handler
needs similar directives. Is there a more elegant way to accomplish what
I want ?