[mod_python] _apache module

Jeremy Evans jkevans at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 17 22:14:14 EST 2004

Gregory Bond wrote:

> cfox at cfconsulting.ca said:
>
>>How can I get it to run in stand-alone mode?
>

> Short answer: you can't.
>
> See FAQ 2.2: http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.002.htp

This is a little off topic, but that FAQ Entry isn't completely
accurate.  At the very least, you can import the _psp module.  For
example, the following code will work as a command line psp->html converter:

#!/path/to/python
from mod_python._psp import parse
import os
class psp2html:
     def __init__(self, f):
         self.fil= file(f,'w')
     def write(self, data, blah=""):
         self.fil.write(data)
os.chdir('/path/to/page/')
req = psp2html('index.html')
exec(parse('index.psp'))

I release it is probably considered bad form to import the "private"
_psp module, but importing psp doesn't work, because psp imports apache
which imports _apache.  However, as long as you aren't using any other
mod_python modules in the psp code for the page you are converting to
html, the above should work (it does for me, at least).  The class is
needed because the psp parser uses the req.write() function with both 2
and 3 arguments in different places, so making req a file won't work.