[mod_python] persistent, reliable globals

Erik Stephens mod_python at 24ksoftware.com
Tue Mar 9 15:58:29 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Michael S. Fischer wrote:

> Erik Stephens writes:
>
> > > Why don't you just use on-disk storage (e.g. anydbm) or a remote db
> > > for this?  Why reinvent the wheel?
> >
> > Doesn't this limit you to using pickle-able objects only
> > then?  There are some important things that don't fall under
> > this category (e.g. db connections).
>
> That's what middleware is for.  Again, why reinvent the wheel?

What middleware are you or others using for making SQL queries without
connecting to a db server for each query?  I've done some internet
research and haven't found anything that stands out as an obvious
choice for this particular problem.  I just want a hammer to pound
this one nail, not a whole toolbox.

On a more philosophical note, the idea of middleware *sounds* nice but
how much of a pain is it to maintain/work with?  Personally, I'm kinda
anti-technology these days, meaning the fewer pieces of technology
that I have to rely on to solve a problem, the better.  Maybe I'm
failing to grok what middleware means.  To me, its yet one more thing
that I don't have full control of that can trip me up.  I doubt it's a
popular opinion, but it's only that, an opinion.

Best regards,
Erik