[mod_python] Flexible imports

Colin Fox cfox at cfconsulting.ca
Sun Mar 7 11:19:02 EST 2004

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
| Why don't you use the publisher handler for that?
|
| Grisha
|
| On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Colin Fox wrote:

Hmm. Ok, what I'm trying to accomplish is this: I am building a site
which is a combination of XML files (which get processed into HTML) and
python files.

I want the xml files to be processed by the xml_handler, regardless of
where they are. I want the python files to be executed as python files
regardless of where they are.

Here's my .htaccess file:

DirectoryIndex index.xml index.html index.py
AddHandler python-program .xml .py
PythonHandler xml_handler
PythonDebug on
PythonAutoReload on

(By the way - it seems that PythonAutoReload (according to mod_python
source) should cause mod_python to automatically re-load a module if it
has changed. Is that true? If so, does that solve the issue of reloads
that people have solved by setting MaxRequestsPerChild to 1?)

I originally tried to solve this by putting two PythonHandler
declarations in, but that didn't work.

AddHandler python-program .xml
PythonHandler xml_handler
PythonDebug on
AddHandler python-program .py
PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
PythonAutoReload on

So now in my xml_handler file I have a chunk of code that looks like this:

def handler(req):
~    if args['requestedfile'].endswith('.py'):
~        return process_py(req)
~    elif args['requestedfile'].endswith('.xml'):
~        return process_xml(req)
~    else:
~        return apache.ERROR

This gets me almost where I want to be - I can process the two different
types of files. Now I'm left with the fact that I want to be able to
process XML files from a single function, but python files to be
processed as python files, and from where they reside.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~  cf