[mod_python] Win32 platform - compiling psp

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Fri Mar 5 12:51:02 EST 2004

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>[snip]
>

>>To build the win32 installer it needs to be done in the dist directory
>>(apparently under Unix)
>>I had troubles trying to run configure on MinGW as it needs an apxs to
>>find...
>>but the APXS is not actually needed for the setup script (the code that
>>used it is commented out)
>>So I ran configure on Linux, and built the installer there...
>>This is done by copying src/Release/mod_python.so to the dist directory.
>>

>not anymore, it now can be done under windows. In fact it *has* to because
>this step also compiles _psp.
>
>you DO need to manually create a setup.py from setup.py.in since
>./configure, as you noted, won't work on windows
>

>>In fact I found that by simply copying the setup.py generated on Linux I
>>could run this on Windows
>>The instruction is:
>>  setup.py bdist_wininst --install-script=win32_postinstall.py
>>

>perhaps distutils take care of it automtically, but I've always
>done it separately, building the mod_python package for the standard lib,
>which would be a step just before the bdist_wininst.
>
>I had to copy src and mod_python (in lib/python) to under dist (on unix
>the makefiles creates symlinks, but they don't work under windows, so you
>have to copy), then run
>
>(This has to be run from the VC++ msdos shell, since it will invoke the
>compiler to build _psp.so (or _psp.dll, don't remember))
>
> python setup.py build

OK, trying to get the win32 build for psp going ...
08/21/2003 07:15 PM):

>The you'll need to build _psp.so - that you need to do in the dist
>directory, and you will need to manually create a setup.py file from
>setup.py.in. I think you will also need to copy src and lib into dist in
>order to make it work. Then you do python setup.py build and it should
>produce _psp.so.
>
>Ah, also, you'll need to edit psp_parser.c and comment out a reference to
>unistd.h, also need to do that in include/psp_flex.h.

There's a option nounistd in the psp_parser.l code which doesn't work.
However, adding --nounistd to the flex command line does work (it
removes the includes nicely)
This also sorts out include/psp_flex.h
It's worth noting that flex 2.5.31 compiles and works out of the box on
CygWin (but not MinGW).

Anyway I have now modified the setup.py.in so that it can be used to
compile without manually copying the src and lib directories.
The paths are determined automatically. I have tested this on Windows
and Linux but obviously it would need further testing...
I attach a patch for setup.py.in
With this, mod_psp compiles successfully on Windows and passes the tests...
I also tried getting the install script to run automatically without
having to specify it on the command line but distutils makes it tricky...

Cheers
David