[mod_python] Trouble spawning a long running process...

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Wed Jun 2 11:03:03 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:47, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Eric Walstad wrote:
>
> > As a bit of background, the spawned script is creating an iso file
> > approx 45MB for the client to download (later).  I have it working
> > using: commands.getstatusoutput(BUILDISO_COMMAND) but that makes the
> > user wait until the child process is complete.
>
> You could probably make it not wait by appending an ampersand (&) to the
> end of the command?

You could also look into send the client status info like the old NPH
cgi scripts did.  If it's possible, you could take an email address from
the user, and add the request to a queue stored in a database (or simply
lock a file when you append to the queue).  The have a cron job running
every minute or so that looks at the queue and builds the .iso and
emails the user when it's done.

Mike