[mod_python] mod_python and SMP

Oliver Graf ograf at rz-online.net
Wed Jan 7 08:22:01 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 03:23:26PM +1100, Robert Leftwich wrote:
> "> For example, on a Windows platform where there is a single
> > multi-threaded Apache process (mpm_wint
> > [http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_winnt.html]) is it correct to
> > say that mod_python would not be able to take advantage of a
> > multi-processor machine due to the GIL?
>
> The answer, unfortunately, is yes. Here is a google search that has some
> info on the subject: http://www.google.com/search?q=python+free-threading
>
> AFAIK the state of things has not changed with respect to SMP and GIL."
>
> So it appears that I am running into this limitation. Is there any
> alternative or is the combination of Windows/Apache2.xx/mod_python/SMP not
> useable?

Out of my stomach I would answer: this is an apache topic, mod_python
will do whatever apache can do. So If there is a mpm for apache under
win32 that does forks (no mpm_prefork for win32? can't believe this,
but I never used this win32 platform...) mod_python should behave well
with SMP...

Oliver.

P.S.: If I am wrong, I'm really interested why. :)