[mod_python] Anti-mod_python discrimination

Adrien Plisson rien at yeepa.org
Sat Feb 28 12:42:25 EST 2004

Hello,

David McNab wrote:

 > I wonder if anyone on this list might want to comment on why so many
 > commercial shared web hosting providers steadfastly refuse to allow
 > the use of mod_python on their servers.

The problem is not only with mod_python. Hosting providers offers
support for Perl but rarely for Python.

For example, my provider do support Perl: it names Perl as a possible
language for CGI scripts, provides help on Perl (through FAQ, tutorials,
and technical support). But python is never referenced. I dicovered the
python interpreter was present and accessible, but after asking them
they told me they do not provide support for python. While their Perl
interpreter is an up-to-date last release of Perl, their python
interpreter is an old bare-bone 1.5 dating from years.

With such a lack of good python support from my provider, i don't have
any wish to write a script, even a simple CGI one. If hosting providers
could at least provide a decent version of Python, it would benefit to
all the python community.

Maybe all Python users should scream louder for good python support...

--
rien