[mod_python] mod_python in redhat 9.0 (i386)

Camilo Olarte colarte at telesat.com.co
Fri Feb 27 14:13:06 EST 2004

Hello ,

Is there an rpm for mod_python 3.1 , one that works well??

Actually i'm having a problem with mod_python 3.0 that comes with normal red hat
9.0 distribution, when i install it it supposedly installs allright but when i'm
going to use the Handler i can't use it..

In this installation i can use mod_python.publisher only, i can't use sessions
neither all the apache facilites like authentication, private pages...

For example if i use the python interpreter and do :

Python 2.2.3 (#1, Jun 16 2003, 13:21:11)
[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)] on linux2
>>> import mod_python

 everything is allright , but....
if I do :

Python 2.2.3 (#1, Jun 16 2003, 13:21:11)
[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)] on linux2
>>> from mod_python import apache
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 66, in ?
    import _apache
ImportError: No module named _apache

and if i look in site-packages/mod_python i can't find any apache.so file(so
what i think is that this rpm brought the mod_python borken)

is there a way to get that apache.so ???

I tried to compile python2.3 without any results in this machine... i think that
 is given by red hats heavy dependence on python for it's anaconda configuration
system... , what i mean is that i cannot just uninstall python2.2 and compile
python2.3 without doing a lot of changes so that red hat keeps working allright.

So , until now i have opted to use mod.publisher only , and to use something
like pso to handle sessions... but i really want to use the whole mod_python...

is there something i can do, (i need to use red hat linux, its a requirement,
and also gcc3.+ because i would be using firebird 1.5 -database-)

Note: at my house with debian linux i have no problem!.
      One idea is to compile mod_python in other machine and grab the so...
      I did it on a Mandrake Machine but with the same results i had on the Red
  Hat. :(

Camilo Olarte
thanks for any help.

Telesat, más fácil...más Internet.