[mod_python] Anti-mod_python discrimination

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Thu Feb 26 14:09:52 EST 2004

Hi,

I wonder if anyone on this list might want to comment on why so many
commercial shared web hosting providers steadfastly refuse to allow the
use of mod_python on their servers.

I'm using mod_python on my own server, and finding it to be one of the
greatest things since Python and Apache themselves. But I'm feeling
hesitant to fully 'surrender' to the mod_python environment, and make
full commitment to it, given that probably less than 2% of shared
hosting providers hosts allow it, and the ones that do allow it tend to
charge 3 to n times more than the others.

As a defense, I've built into my 'yet another python web app server
framework' a system of 'contexts', where web apps can run the same way,
without mods, regardless of whether they're running under straight CGI,
mod_python CGI, my custom mod_python handler, or through an embedded
server. (apologies that I'm not using Twisted ;p)

But I would really like to know what concerns shared web host admins
have about mod_python. Are there real security issues, whereby a
malicious python web app could do nasty stuff to 'neighbour' accounts,
or to the server itself? Or is there just a 'fear of the unknown' issue?
Or have hosting providers been fed some FUD along the way?

Just curious

--

Kind regards
David

--

leave this line intact so your email gets through my junk mail filter