[mod_python] Reload scripts without restarting Apache?

Daniel J. Popowich dpopowich at mtrsd.k12.ma.us
Mon Feb 9 09:32:12 EST 2004

Michael C. Neel writes:
> > I'd definitely *not* recommend doing this on a production
> > server, but...
> >
> > On my "development server" (a.k.a. my laptop), I've set this
> > in httpd.conf:
> >
> > MaxRequestsPerChild  1
> >
> Heh... wow.  That's one way to do it =p

Sure is and I'm going to use it for development!!  The problem with
doing manual reloads, conditional on some debugging state, is the
complexity involved when you have deeply nested modules.  In the app
I'm developing, I'm currently doing a lot of tweaking of code in a
module imported a few modules down the pipe, as it were.  It's really
HARD to get the re-importing logic down there AND it really doesn't
want to be there because one of the intermediate modules has no
knowledge of being used via mod_python.  Or maybe you're using a
third-party module that allows plugins and you're working on the
plugin -- you don't want to modify the third-party module to do
conditional reloads -- UGLY!

I love the MaxRequestsPerChild idea.  Simple!!!  I just hope I
remember to reset it!  :-)

Daniel