[mod_python] Issue after upgrade

jalil jalil at securia.com
Fri Feb 6 17:21:23 EST 2004

My web application in mod_python used to work fine. I was using a
version of MySQLdb I had compiled a while ago with the production
version of Mysql. I later  upgraded Mysql to a later version (the alpha
version) and everything kept working just fine.

A few days ago, while trying to run a python program from shell, I came
across the following error:

 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line
31, in ?
   raise ImportError, "this is MySQLdb version %s, but _mysql is version
%s" %\ImportError: this is MySQLdb version (0, 9, 1, 'final', 1), but
_mysql is version (0, 9, 2, 'final', 1)

I thought I had to re-compile MySQLdb with the later version of MySQL. I
did it and I could run my python program from shell fine. However, after
the recompile, my mod-python app stopped working. Now, in some select
statements, the call just doesn't return and I believe it crahes.

I didn't touch anything in my web app and the only way I can explain it
is b/c I recompiled the MySQLdb. Could anybody help me debug this
situation. I am stuck. How can I find out what is going on exactly?

I appreciate any help.

- Jalil