[mod_python] Any support for on-time Initialization?

Daniel West dwmp at opti.cgi.net
Wed Feb 4 23:17:50 EST 2004

At 06:34 AM 2/3/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, first 3.1.2b is a beta release, and beta releases are known to
>contain problems. It's not logical to assume that if there is a problem in
>a beta release, and your best guess is that it has to do with threading,
>then all versions of mod_python "have problems in general with
>multi-threaded environments".  Someone new to mod_python may read this in
>the archives and take it as a true statement, when it isn't.

The last thing I want to do is discourage use of mod_python to new members
of the list.  I'm very thankful for the solution you've created in
mod_python and I want to see it grow.  I'm in the process of porting a
couple moderately high traffic sites over to mod_python now.

Yes, I have been using the beta (primarily because I wanted to use PSP),
and I realize it could just be a problem with the beta.  However, after my
original post on threading, I got no response save for Perry's who seemed
to be having difficulty with threading as well.  I don't mean to be
spreading dis-information, it's just that no one had taken the time to
correct my dis-information until now.

>Second - I think you gave up on that particular problem and drew a
>conclusion way to eraly. Posting the problem code to the list would be a
>start :-)

In my post I described an output filter that was sending part of one
request and part of another unrelated request in the first request.  In
other words, requests were getting mixed up mid-stream.  Is this even
something that can be done in python purposely without resorting to global
or module level namespaces?  The filter I was using was pretty simple.  It
just did some update queries based on information from the filter.req
object and then called filter.pass_on().  I'll try and reproduce the
problem without the database queries, just a filter.pass_on() call and then
I'll let you know what I get.

-Dan