[mod_python] Any support for on-time Initialization?

Daniel West dwmp at opti.cgi.net
Mon Feb 2 12:29:56 EST 2004

Jalil,

The best way to setup database connections is just to wait for the first
request to come in.  Keep your database connection in a module name space
that all of your pages share and it'll persist between connections so long
as you don't explicitly close it.  Once you import a module it stays in the
interpreter name space between requests so future requests have access to
the module without having to load it again.

If you're interested in keeping "pools" of database connections then you
may be considering one of the multi-threaded MPM's for Apache 2.  You'll
save yourself a lot of hair pulling if you stick with the prefork mpm.  It
bears saying that in the prefork mpm, each process does not share
interpreter resources with the other processes.  This means each process
will have it's own "pool" of database connections which may not bode well
with your database server if you run a moderately heavy Apache load.

-Dan