[mod_python] With OS X and Python 2.4 - installed but not working

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Dec 22 23:40:51 EST 2004

For ideas, run something like:

  otool -L /usr/local/apache-2.0/modules/mod_python.so

What does it output for you?

For me it generates:

/usr/local/apache-2.0/modules/mod_python.so:
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 71.1.1)
        /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python (compatibility version
2.3.0, current version 2.3.0)

But then that is correct in my case as I patched mod_python so it will
work with standard Python 2.3 shipped with Mac OS X, thus avoiding
building Python 2.4 and trying to get it to work. :-)

Then look at the dyld manual page. You might find you have to set the
DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH environment variable so that otool/httpd
will look in the correct place for your framework for Python 2.4. It
is probably simply ignoring your new version and still using the old.

BTW, the patches required for mod_python so it will work with Python
2.3 shipped with Mac OS X can be found amongst other patches at:

  http://www.dscpl.com.au/projects/vampire/PATCHES

Graham Dumpleton (grahamd at dscpl.com.au)