[mod_python] Re: Beta Google groups vs. mailing list

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Mon Dec 6 17:40:05 EST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> On Dec 06 12:00, "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <grisha at modpython.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think what they do is send stuff via NNTP, which makes it available via
>> google groups. I'm not a usenet expert, but if someone could figure out
>> how to register a group and go ahead and create it, I can look into
>> configuring mailman to gateway the postings to it. This IMO would be the
>> best set up.
>>
>> Grisha
>
> Unless there is a way to gateway postings made via GG back onto the mailing list,
> I would recommend against doing it. The reason being that although GG would
> see all mailing list traffic, if someone does a followup to a message using GG, those
> on the mailing list wouldn't see the followup.

I think that with the old GG anything posted via google would go out to
usenet, then the mailing list would pick it up, which is exactly as we
would want it. However, with the new google group changes this week, I
don't know if this is usenet anymore, and their ability to just flip
things like this at their discretion is what worries me the most...
Perhaps someone more GG-aware could chime in?

Grisha