[mod_python] mod_python in a shared environment

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Thu Aug 26 19:01:53 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 15:29 +0200, Fabio Rotondo wrote:
> sorry but I don't think that in a production environment you can change
> the code while users are browsing your web site. It'd be a complete mess.

Not neccessarily, but you're misunderstanding; the python code doesn't
have to be the production environment, but the shared web server
provided by your hosting company certainly is. mod_python is part of the
hosting company's responsibility, but if there is a risk of having to
restart the apache server at irregular intervals, affecting all virtual
web sites hosted on it, they're not going to provide that service.
They'll tell you to use <insert currently widespread web scripting
language here> instead.

> Even more: there are workarounds for python that allows you not to
> restart apache while working. Many examples appeared on this mailing
> list in the last few days.

Yes, and I've read many, if not all, of them. Nevertheless, they do not
cover all cases. But that was not the point of what I said.

> mod_python is stable. It is rock solid.
> Python is a great language and mod_python just exposes Python power to
> web developers.
>
> If you may think mod_python is weak or does not deserve respect or your
> time just switch back to PHP and be prepared to rewrite your code
> everytime they change PHP APIs (which has happened from PHP3 to PHP4 and
> is happening again from PHP4 to PHP5).

please.

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net>