[mod_python] Next release of mod_python

Nicolas Lehuen nicolas at lehuen.com
Tue Aug 24 12:36:20 EDT 2004

Hi,

I also have a memory leak on my Apache process and it seems to come from
either mod_python or my Python code. I use the publisher handler with a very
straightforward Python module, which does not use sessions or any persistent
data. I solved the problem the dirty way (i.e. apache -k restart at 3 AM
every day), but it's, well, dirty :).

Maybe it is not a true memory leak, but a consequence of the Python memory
management scheme ? I noticed on long-running scripts that Python can
allocate a pretty big amount of memory before noticing it is not used (maybe
during a garbage collection) and releasing it. The trouble is that on my 1
Gb server, Apache + mod_python actually went up to 600 Mb of memory without
giving any hint that it would release anything. I had to restart Apache
before the end of the experiment, so that my other services would not
trash...

Regards,

Nicolas