[mod_python] mod_python Live examples

Michael Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Sat Aug 14 12:34:48 EDT 2004

> > I would also really like to see more examples. And get some advice :)!
> I do understand your problem, as I was in the same situation for about a
> half year ago. I tested the old mod_python (2.7) on apache 1.3, and as I
> needed sessions, I felt I had to make to much code to make it worth the
> while.
>
> But then I tested version 3.x and apache2, and it all changed, it now
> has sessions, and other "basic" stuff, and it all work as expected.
> mod_python don't work as php, but I found it more easy to structure my
> code, when I got use to the "new" way of modelling.

I think that's a bit unfair, mod_python's 'basic' is exposing the apache api
in python, and allowing python code to be understood by apache.  The other
things mod_python can do are really extras and bonuses, and if you come from
having worked with the apache api before, mod_python has been pretty
complete for a while now.

Also, you've never been "locked into" the options that come with mod_python.
There are some other frameworks that work under mod_python listed in the
links section; http://www.modpython.org/links.html and I myself use
Albatross; http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/  There are
alot more than these out there as well that use mod_python for it's access
to the apache api and then supply their own framework.  And it never hurts
to know more than one, as not every framework is best for every app;
sometimes you really need Zope and other times Publisher will be get the job
quite nicely =)

Mike