[mod_python] mod_python Live examples

Adrian Holovaty modpython at holovaty.com
Sat Aug 14 01:58:07 EDT 2004

Miles K. Forrest wrote:
> Does anyone have a comprehensive list of websites running mod_python?
> Or even websites using Python?  I'm starting to lose faith that Python
> is a better development environment than other LAMP boxes (Perl and
> PHP).  I want to believe that Python can be a better development
> platform, but I can't find anyone out there who's actually *using*
> Python or mod_python for more than just simple dynamic websites.

I work for a newspaper Web site in Lawrence, Kansas, and we've been using
mod_python almost exclusively for the past year or so for our many
content-management needs. We absolutely love it; it'd take a *lot* for me and
the other developer, Simon Willison, to change our development platform.

Here are just a few examples of our mod_python-powered sites:

http://www.lawrence.com/
(Has a bit of legacy mod_perl in it for the moment, on the www. subdomain, but
the rest is mod_python. This is an award-winning local entertainment site.
Check out the many cross-reference databases, from events to local bands to
multimedia to drink specials.)

http://blogs.lawrence.com/
(Local-community weblogs, with registration/comment functionality.)

http://www.6newslawrence.com/
(Local TV-station's Web site.)

http://www.6newslawrence.com/weather/
(TV station's weather site, combining locally-produced content and various
public weather feeds.)

Our sites have a great reputation in the online news industry (despite our
out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere location), and we're even in the beginning
stages of packaging our mod_python-based CMS for use by other online media
companies.

Python and mod_python, for us, have been flexible, quick to develop in,
powerful, robust and secure. I'd encourage you to explore them deeply and
fall in love.

Adrian

--
Adrian Holovaty