[mod_python] mod_python Live examples

Amir Salihefendic amix at amix.dk
Sat Aug 14 00:36:06 EDT 2004

Hello Miles

I would also really like to see more examples. And get some advice :)!

Anyway, I have also done some work in PHP, ASP and eRuby - - and I must
say that mod_python is way more powerful - - especially because you
have such a control over the Apache server. The publisher handler is
really great - mixing that up with PSP for handling templates - - and
boom, you got a really neat and powerful web-development tool! But you
really got to know what you are doing - -because there isn't much of
help out there...

Anyway, some of you elite mod_python users, couldn't you post some
advice - tips and tricks?
Here is some aspects I want to know more about:
- How do you build your application (structure)?
- How do you transport data in your application? Of course, you may use
publisher, you own handlers etc - - But how do you do internal data
transportation (i.e. for your own function calls, callbacks, classes
etc.)?
- What about security? Is there some things that one should really be
careful about? I read that some has done some work for US Air Force - -
now I suppose security must be high on a project like that one.. How do
you test security in mod_python? How do you secure your application?
- How do you optimize your application?  What can optimize an
application (i.e. your experience with optimizing applications)?
- How do you debug?
- How do you handle access to a database? Do you use global connection?
Could you share how you have builded your database system?
- How do you test your application? How are you sure that the
application doesn't crash if there more than 50 users? Do you use
unittesting? If you do, could you share an unittest - or describe how
you test your application using unittesting?
Well, just write about your own experience ;-)

Kind regards
Amir Salihefendic
-----
What we do in life echoes in eternity