[mod_python] mod_python servlet failing on non-existent code

Chris Curvey ccurvey at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 13 11:35:52 EDT 2004

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Chris Curvey wrote:
>
>> I'm hacking my way through a proof-of-concept with mod_python
>> servlets, and I'm coming across something strange.  When I hit my
>> page, I'm getting an error message returned in a browser ("unpack
>> tuple of wrong size").   The strange part is that the line listed in
>> the browser doesn't exist in my code anymore.  (I changed that line
>> as part of the debugging process.)
>

> This is not unusual - Python caches locations of lines so when a
> module is reloaded oftentimes the traceback will refer to the source
> code as it was in the original file. The only way to get around this
> is to restart the server.

That's what's so confusing to me.  I did restart the server, and I'm
still seeing the old code.  There aren't even any pyc files around for
me to blame it on.  (Not to mention the fact that the entire page is
generated properly, at least somewhere.)

>> So I figured that maybe I was having a problem with mod_python
>> caching classes, and I restarted apache just as "httpd -X".  I hit
>> the page again, and the same error message shows up in the browser,
>> but the HTML that I want shows up in the window where I started httpd.
>

> Are you writing your output to stdout (using "print") or stderr for
> some reason?

Hmm, I'm using self.writeln() to write out the html, I don't remember
off the top of my head if that's from mod_python itself or from the
servlets...