[mod_python] restricted mode in server cleanup callback?

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Apr 26 17:20:47 EST 2004

Stéphane Bidoul wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm having problems with server cleanup callbacks
>(on windows, with apache 2.0.49 and mod_python 3.1.3):
>
>For instance, with
>
>def endChild(data):
>    f = file("test.log","a")
>    try:
>       print >> f, "endChild", data
>    finally:
>       f.close()
>
>firstTime = 1
>
>def handler(req):
>    if firstTime:
>        global firstTime
>        req.server.register_cleanup(req,endChild,("endChild data",)
>        firstTime = 0
>
>Sometimes, the endChild function runs normally,
>but sometimes, I get this in apache error.log:
>
>[notice] Child 1284: Exit event signaled. Child process is ending.
>[notice] Child 1284: Released the start mutex
>[notice] Child 1284: Waiting for 250 worker threads to exit.
>[notice] Child 1284: All worker threads have exited.
>[error] python_cleanup: Error calling cleanup object <function endChild at
>0x005FFC30>
>[error]     exceptions.IOError: file() constructor not accessible in
>restricted mode
>[notice] Child 1284: Child process is exiting
>[notice] Parent: Child process exited successfully.
>
>Why is python thinking it is in restricted mode?
>I'm prepared to launch my debugger, but I've no clue
>where to search first, so any hint is most welcome.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>-sbi

Hi
I reported this on the python-dev list recently, and have quoted the
thread below.
Not much info seems to be available, but basically the code is being
called with a different interpreter to the one used to create some
objects or something like that.
I'd appreciate any further info you find out

David