[mod_python] jToolkit 0.1 released

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Sep 29 11:30:40 EST 2003

I am pleased to announce the release of jToolkit, a new framework for
building web applications using modpython and Apache.
jToolkit was developed by St James Software and is aimed at large,
database-intensive applications with lots of dynamic content.

0.1 is the initial release of jToolkit. I'm trying to follow a
release-early principle here, so at this stage, jToolkit is
fully-functional, but documentation is scarce. Use the jToolkit lists
for help or contributions (I also am on the mod_python and pythondev
mailing lists).

Here's the blurb from the website, http://jtoolkit.sourceforge.net/

jToolkit is a Python web application framework built on modpython and
Apache.

It is aimed at dynamically generated pages rather than mostly-static
pages (for which there are templating solutions). Pages can be produced
using a variety of widgets. It handles sessions and database connections.

The source code is licensed under the *GPL* license.

We request that for any contributions to jToolkit, *joint copyright* is
assigned to St James Software. This enables us to keep the public GPL
version in sync with our internal version, which we use for commercial
projects. If there are any questions about this, please discuss on any
of the mailing lists. (Note that if you want to, you can always create
your own version of jToolkit without returning the contributions to this
project).

Current features include:
  support for login/logout and user sessions (planned to be integrated
with modpython 3.1 sessions if that is feasible)
  support for database independence using a wrapper around the Python
DB-API 2.0
  support for localization using an extension of the gettext modules (so
that you can have multiple users simultaneously using different languages)
  support for constructing pages using widget objects of various levels
of complexity, ranging from simple html widgets to table layouts, etc

Any feedback, contributions etc are welcome.
In particular, if anyone actually wants to use this, they'll need help,
which could then end up being used to create documentation. This is what
I want to do, so please ask away!

David